New Jersey Indecent Exposure Attorney
Union County Lewdness Charge Lawyer
Lewdness-Indecent Exposure Union County, New Jersey Lewd Conduct Attorney
Indecent Exposure, NJ Criminal Lawyer
Lewd Conduct Attorney, Former Prosecutor and Current Public Defender
Have you been charged with Lewd Conduct or Indecent Exposure in New Jersey? Did you have a sexual encounter in a place you thought was private, but turned out to be public? Or maybe a long night of drinking led to conduct you’re embarrassed about? There are many ways a person can be charged with Lewd Conduct. Often couples seek privacy in parks and dark alleys, only to be publicly uncovered and arrested. And everyone has experienced intoxicated moments they wish had never happened, but whether you didn’t realize you were breaking the law, or did something you knew you shouldn’t, if you’ve been charged with Lewd Conduct, you need an attorney.
My name is Anthony N. Palumbo, Lewd Conduct Defense attorney and with over 35 years of criminal trial experience, I know what it’s like when good people make bad decisions and I will aggressively defend your rights. Contact me today at 1-866-664-8118 for a free initial consultation. Our firm defends individuals accused of Indecent Exposure and Lewd Conduct throughout New Jersey including the Union County, Middlesex County, Somerset County, Hudson County, Essex County, Morris County, Ocean County and Monmouth County.
Lewd Conduct in NJ
In order to be guilty of Lewd Conduct in New Jersey, a person must commit a Lewd Act under certain circumstances. New Jersey Law defines Lewd Acts as:
- The exposing of the genitals for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of the actor or of any other person.
There are three general ways a person can be guilty of Lewd Conduct and they don’t all carry the same charges or penalties. A person is guilty of Lewd Conduct if he commits any of the following three actions.
- Any flagrantly lewd and offensive act which he knows or reasonably expects is likely to be observed by other non-consenting persons who would be affronted or alarmed.
- He exposes his intimate parts for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of the actor or of any other person under circumstances where the actor knows or reasonably expects he is likely to be observed by a child who is less than 13 years of age where the actor is at least four years older than the child.
- He exposes his intimate parts for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of the actor or of any other person under circumstances where the actor knows or reasonably expects he is likely to be observed by a person who because of mental disease or defect is unable to understand the sexual nature of the actor’s conduct.
Based on the conduct described under Number 1, it would be easy for a couple who engages in a sexual encounter thinking they are alone to be charged with Lewd Conduct if it turns out they are actually in a public place. The penalties for Number 1 are lower than those for both Number 2 and 3.
Penalties if Convicted
The following are penalties that attach if convicted of Lewd Conduct. If a person commits Lewd Conduct through the actions described in Number 1, that person will be charged with a disorderly persons offense. However, if a person commits Lewd Conduct through the actions described in Numbers 2 or 3, that person will be charged with a 4th Degree Crime.
disorderly persons offense
- Up to 6 months in Prison
- $1,000 in fines
4th Degree Crime
- Up to 18 months in Prison
- $10,000 in fines
To view the entire New Jersey Statute on Lewd Conduct see N.J.S.A. 2C:14-4.
If you have been charged with Indecent Exposure or Lewd Conduct, I understand what you are going through. Everyday good people make poor decisions, but everyone has the right to make mistakes and move forward. As a former prosecutor and current public defender with over thirty-five (35) years of criminal trial experience , I know how to build a strong defense against the prosecutor who wants to put you behind bars. I will guide you through this process and fight to defend your rights. Contact me today at 1-866-664-8118 for a free initial consultation. Don’t let one bad decision ruin the rest of your life.
I also defend charges of:
- Public indecency
- Date rape
- Lewd acts
- Statutory rape
- Indecent exposure
- Sex Assault and Battery
- Traffic Offenses and Driving Violations
- Drug Crimes
- Marijuana Offenses
- Theft and Property Crimes
- White Collar Crimes
- Violent Crimes
- Sexual Assault
- Eluding an Officer
- Crimes Against Children
- Juvenile Offenses
- Domestic Violence
- Deportation/Criminal Defenses
For more information on sex crimes in New Jersey, visit my sex crimes website which provides all the information you need to know about sex crimes in New Jersey.