New Jersey Municipal Courts Attorney

Fighting Municipal Offense Charges

In New Jersey, some minor criminal offenses are dealt with by the municipal court system, which is governed by a distinct set of legal procedures. If you’ve been charged with a municipal offense, you need a lawyer who understands the municipal courts.

As a former Cranford municipal prosecutor and criminal law attorney with more than 35 years of trial experience, I have handled thousands of municipal cases. Contact me to schedule a free initial consultation about your case.

Asserting Your Rights During a Streamlined Process

The municipal court process is much faster than the criminal court process. You can be arrested, appear in court, and asked to plead guilty or not guilty all on the same day.

If you plead guilty to any offense, including a municipal offense such as a traffic offense or disorderly persons charge, you could be giving up important rights. Let an experienced lawyer protect your rights.

The prosecutor may offer you a plea bargain. Again, even if the bargain sounds acceptable to you, it is always a good idea to talk to a lawyer. Although municipal offenses are mostly fairly “minor” crimes, they can involve major consequences such as jail time, fines and — in the case of traffic violations — points on your driving record and higher insurance rates.

Taking Your Side After the Initial Hearing

Many of my municipal court clients come to me after being told by a municipal judge that they will face serious consequences such as losing their driver’s licenses if they plead guilty to an offense.

I can help you explore all the possibilities for avoiding or reducing these consequences. I am dedicated to my clients’ rights to thorough legal representation, even in the expedited municipal court process. You need a New Jersey criminal defense lawyer who can help you take full advantage of the law and protect you.

For any municipal court matter, you have the right to a hearing, and you have the right to be represented by an attorney at that hearing. Contact me to work with an aggressive and experienced lawyer who will explore and explain all of your options.