The Law Offices of Anthony N. Palumbo
Phone: 908-316-8671

Is there any way to avoid trial on a marijuana charge?

Most individuals in New Jersey have never had to go before a judge to answer to any sort of charges. Most offenses tend to be minor ones, handled at the municipal court level. Crimes that are more serious get bumped up to criminal court. If you are facing allegations, minor or major, you need to take them seriously for the sake of your present and future.

At a time when the subject of marijuana use is in a huge state of upheaval, it can be easy to assume that the only time you need to worry is if you are headed for a criminal court appearance. The severity of punishments meted out after a municipal court conviction might not seem too troubling. It might only be after you lose out on the next job you apply for or loan you seek that you appreciate how a record of any kind can haunt you.

In recent years, those with experience in this area have noted a shift in emphasis away from outright punishment and toward more rehabilitative efforts. They are called diversionary programs. They can take various forms and each level of the court system has its models. At the municipal court level, they call the program Conditional Discharge. In criminal court, they call it Pretrial Intervention.

Whether taking advantage of such a program to avoid a trial would be in your best interest depends on the circumstances of your case. The benefit to the accused is that successful completion leaves a clean record. However, not everyone qualifies, making consultation with experienced legal counsel important. How they can work in marijuana cases follows.

Conditional discharge is available only in municipal court and for first-time offenses. Upon entering a program, prosecution is put on hold. Completing all conditions results in the charges eventually being dismissed.

Pretrial interventionrequires the defendant to plead guilty to a criminal court charge. It goes on the record as a conviction. Conditions can be tough. Once met, though, the record is erased. If you've ever gone through a diversionary program before or currently are on parole or probation, you likely won't qualify for PTI.

To achieve the best possible outcome, you need to know all your options.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Learn How I Can Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Cranford Office
190 North Avenue East Suite 1
Cranford, NJ 07016

Toll Free: 866-664-8118
Phone: 908-316-8671
Fax: 908-272-7322
Cranford Law Office Map

Elizabeth Office
740 Newark Avenue
Elizabeth, NJ 07208

Toll Free: 866-664-8118
Phone: 908-316-8671
Elizabeth Law Office Map

Brielle Office
503 Union Avenue
Brielle, NJ 08730

Toll Free: 866-664-8118
Phone: 908-316-8671
Map & Directions

Phone: 908-316-8671 Fax: 908-272-7322
Is there any way to avoid trial on a marijuana charge? | The Law Offices of Anthony N. Palumbo